CP12  (Gas Safety certificate)

CP12 is all about gas installation certification. In the UK, the gas installation certificate goes by a lot of different names; CP12 or Landlord Gas Safety certificate. CP12 is an abbreviation of CORGI Proforma 12.

Between 1991 and 2009, CORGI (Council for Registered Gas Installers) was operated as the official regulatory body for UK gas safety. However, on 1st April 2009, the Gas Safe Register replaced CORGI and the document adopted other more generic names, such as the Landlord Gas Safety Certificate and Gas Safety Record.

CP12 a certificate issued to prove that a landlord has met their legal obligation to have safety checks carried out on all of the gas equipment in their rented property.

Why is CP12 important

If poorly installed and maintained, gas appliances can be dangerous, which is why it is so important that a qualified engineer check them at least annually. Failing to get a CP12 certificate for your rented property could result in a hefty fine and up to 6 month’s jail time.

Gas safety checks – Who needs them?

If you rent out a property, you’re legally obliged to have a gas safety check carried out by a suitably qualified and registered engineer.

The engineer will record the details of the check on a Landlord Gas Safety Record form (also known as a CP12 Certificate in the trade) with copies for you and your tenants.

Even if your tenants don’t use gas, if there’s a live supply to your property, it’ll need to be checked.

For more information see Regulation (36)(1) of the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998

Generally, gas safety checks are needed by:

  • Landlords
  • Housing associations
  • Local authorities
  • Hotels and B&Bs
  • Colleges
  • Boarding schools
  • Hostels

In hotels and B&Bs, you must arrange an annual gas safety check for any gas appliances serving guest accommodation even if it is sited away from the guest accommodation.

When should I arrange a gas safety check?

You will need to have the gas installations in your rental property checked every year. This should be some time in the 10th to 12th month following the previous year’s check. If you have the check completed earlier or later than this 10 to 12-month window, your next check should still be carried out 12 months from the current one.

Who can carry out the gas safety certificate checks & issue a gas safety certificate?

Only engineers registered with Gas Safe (UK) can carry out gas safety inspections and issue CP12 certificates. You can check that a gas engineer is registered by searching for them on the Gas Safe website. They should also have a Gas Safe registration card, which you can ask to see. On the back, it will tell you which areas of gas they’re qualified to work in.

This is a little ID card that should display the following:

  • Gas engineer’s photo
  • Start and expiry dates
  • Gas Safe Register license number
  • Security hologram
  • Business the engineer is employed by

How do I get a gas safety certificate in London (UK)?

You can get a gas safety certificate or Gas Safety Record form by booking an appointment with a Gas Safe registered engineer.

They’ll do a visual check on all your gas appliances, and pipework that is accessible, to make sure they’re in good condition, and a test on the pipework to make sure there are no gas leaks.

Read Also: Face Fit testing; Types & Legal requirements

Check that should be carried out by the gas engineer

Gas safety checks should be carried out on your gas appliances. Your gas engineer will check:

  • Appliances are working at the correct pressure
  • Appliances are burning gas properly
  • There’s adequate air supply to appliances
  • Flues and chimneys are clear so gases and fumes can be safely discharged
  • Safety devices on appliances are working as they should

Once the inspection has been carried out, they will issue your CP12 certificate, which will contain the following information:

  • Name, ID number and signature of the Gas Safe registered engineer
  • Date of gas safety inspection
  • Name and address of the landlord or letting agent (if it’s a managed property)
  • Address of the property
  • Location and info about each of the gas appliances and flues
  • Any problems and the follow-up action required to resolve them
  • Confirmation from the engineer that the check was completed properly, in compliance with legislation
  • Date of the next scheduled gas safety check (usually 12 months from the date of issue)

Read Also: Workers compensation Utah; How it works

What does a typical gas certificate cover?

A typical gas safety certificate will tell you:

  • What appliances/pipework have been tested and where they are located
  • The results of the safety checks carried out on the appliances/pipework
  • Any safety issues identified
  • Any remedial work or action required
  • Details of the landlord/letting agency and property address
  • Details of the Gas Safe engineer who did the inspection, the date of the check and their signature

It is worth bearing in mind that there is not a standard certificate issued by the Gas Safe Register, so documentation will vary from one company to the next. As long as it details the information above and can be produced in hard copy, then it will be valid.

Read Also: Manual Handling: Risk, Regulation & Good manual handling techniques

By Ubong Edet

A passionate Health and Safety professional with a good level of field experience and relevant certifications including NEBOSH, OSHA, ISO, etc certifications. An Health and Safety activist who believes in the growth and continual improvement of the profession. He is going all out to create awareness and safe precious lives.

Leave a Reply